Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Attacking my culture?

I received an email the other day from a professor at Western Illinois University. It seems that her class was studying negative media images and came across my Minstrel Show video. She said her students very much wanted to know if I were white or black. After I responded that I was in fact black, she said her students were surprised to hear this because they would not expect a black person to be putting down their own culture.

Considering that the students are future educators, it speaks volumes as to the current state of so called race relations. It also makes me want to work harder to let people understand that what they see in music videos and on TV does not represent the values of most black folks, but its simply the most commercially viable narrative delivered for corporate efficiency.

Wait until they see Punk Ass Negros.......

No comments: