Friday, January 05, 2007

Viewer Comment

A viewer made the following comment to my minstrel show video the other day

I think you comparison is right on, but I think the problem is even worse than that. Coonery packaged amoral ignorance as entertainment. Gangsta has elevated it to a state of enlightenment. Understanding the formula "any fame + wealth = success" is "keepin' it real". Education and integrity are rejected as naive and timid. Whites have our own version of this with the elevation of the fame whores by Paris Hilton, etc. I respect your talent, and would look forward to you directly addressing this.

I actually agree with his main point which is that this mentally effects a larger population than just black folks. I do think though that the issue is more critical in the so called black community. Black kids have much less room for error from an educational, juvenile justice, and criminal justice system. I may end of widening the scope of my videos. I would certainly get more hits that way(maybe not). But I will continue to focus this community, until I have exhausted my thoughts or this becomes a majority opinion.

No comments: